Sloppy Glam Almost Ruined My Marriage
It was a frowning experience.
An Australian bride visited a new beautician to get her brows done – only to suffer a terrifying allergic reaction that left her hospitalized for two days after a wrong procedure was allegedly performed, according to Kennedy News and Media.
Tamika Cleggett had wanted her eyebrows waxed and tinted but claimed they were mistakenly tinted instead. The 30-something is allergic to the dye and her eyebrows have become irritated.
“It was an itchy reaction at first and I put eye patches on it, but that didn’t help,” Cleggett told the press service. “And then I had a burning sensation – it’s like that warm feeling that you try to scratch but it makes it worse.
“It blistered quite badly, almost like a burn, and then stained.”
Her allergic reaction escalated to the point that her eyes were “completely sealed” and she could not see for 24 hours, she recalls. Cleggett said she was hospitalized for two days and needed to be monitored to “ensure the reaction didn’t spread to her throat and block her airways,” according to Kennedy News.
“It was definitely the most painful thing I have ever experienced. For at least four days it kept getting worse and then the fluid buildup stopped,” Cleggett said.
“It fell lower on my face and that’s what made me look a little out of shape.”
The incident happened in April 2016, four months before her wedding.
“I was scared to walk down the aisle looking like an alien,” she said. “I would have called off the wedding and ran away.”
The retail manager has made a full recovery and recently decided to share her story on TikTok – where he amassed over 220,000 likes, comments and views – to raise awareness and encourage people to “get patch tested” before beauty treatments. Cleggett knew she had an allergy to the tint but didn’t think to tell the beautician, who allegedly did the procedure without her permission.
“My sister said I looked like an alien and several people on TikTok made that comment, which I find funny; at the end of the day, you just have to laugh about it.
At the time of her allergic reaction, she and a friend even went to a local event.
“She actually walked me around like I was literally a blind person, jumping on these rides with the kids and stuff. I can only imagine what I looked like and how scared the kids were” , added Cleggett.
“In hindsight, I told him maybe it wasn’t a good idea,” she continued. “I was Frankenstein to them.”